Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Music Speaks when Words Cannot

Yesterday was a tough day. I ended it listening to a few of my dad's favorites. He has hundreds, if not thousands of CDs and even has a sizable collection of LPs.

Have you heard of the game Song Pop? It is a game that you can download on your smart phone. You pick your category and then you guess either the name of the song or the artist. I love that game. However, I loved it before it was ever created.

Just about every weekend growing up, my dad would wake up the whole house on the weekend at 6 am with AC/DC's Hells Bells. After we finished up our chores, we would sit around in the living room and we would play guess this artist. As I became proficient in that game, we started adding titles of songs. I hated getting woken up that way growing up...but I loved that damn game! There was one song that I always got excited that I knew...but I always got it wrong.



I always ALWAYS said The Who's Teenage Wasteland....he would just laugh and tell me to try again.

My dad was not an emotional man. I think I saw him cry only once...but he tried so hard to hide it. However, I could tell by what was playing what kind of mood he was in. My mother knew if she could hear the music when she pulled up from work, not to come in. Generally it was Metallica when he had a bad day at work. He definitely expressed his mood through his music. I am just like that. If I am sad, I pick sad music. If I am happy, I pick upbeat music. If I am mad, I pick the stuff you just cannot understand (my daughter calls it death metal). I haven't been feeling much in the mood for music...but I found out from my mother what his favorite song was...and I just cannot stop listening.



I love you Pops. I miss you terribly. Ride hard. Ride free.

No comments:

Post a Comment